Sunday, December 13, 2009

Creator of the Stars

This became my favorite Advent hymn a dozen or so years ago.  The melody grabbed me first, then, after I listened closely to the words, especially the first verse, the text grabbed me, too.  I imagined it being written by someone in the 8th or 9th century who was pondering the immensity of a star-filled sky at evening time while trying to turn his or her heart to God.  Maybe the composer was hungry and living in a chilly castle, a humble, cold hut, or out on a plain somewhere in the cold.  Then I noticed the hope expressed in the final line and wondered how much faith it took, in those ancient days, to write it.  I think that hope, for the Creator of the stars to hear our prayers, is shared by believers everywhere. 

I wish I could post the melody, because it's so beautiful, especially when sung with a rich texture by a good choir.  When I hear it sung that way, especially if they pause for a second or two at the end of each line, I'm out on a plain, with hat, jacket, and scarf pulled tight, looking up at the stars, pondering the Almighty, and marveling at the infinite love behind it all.    


Creator of the stars of night,
Your people’s everlasting light,
O Christ, Redeemer of us all,
We pray you hear us when we call.


In sorrow that the ancient curse
Should doom to death a universe,
You came, O Savior, to set free
Your own in glorious liberty.


When this old world drew on toward night,
You came; but not in splendor bright,
Not as a monarch, but the child
Of Mary, blameless mother mild.


At your great Name, O Jesus, now
All knees must bend, all hearts must bow:
All things on earth with one accord,
Like those in heav’n, shall call you Lord.


Come in your holy might, we pray,
Redeem us for eternal day;
Defend us while we dwell below
From all assaults of our dread foe.


To God Creator, God the Son,
And God the Spirit, Three in One,
Praise, honor, might, and glory be
From age to age eternally.

Text: Conditor alme siderum, Latin 9th. C., tr. The Hymnal 1982, © 1985, The Church Pension Fund

No comments:

Post a Comment